Multiinformation and the problem of characterization of conditional
Problems of Control and Information Theory
18 (1989), n. 1, pp. 3-16.
- Certain algebraic relation between multiinformation
and conditional mutual information is established. It is shown to
be applicable to the problem of characterization of conditional independence
relations (= structures) arising in connection with probabilistic expert
systems. More concretely, a new property (axiom) of these relations is
derived. Some auxiliary results have their own significance: the
characterization of marginally continous measures and the
information-theoretical characterization of the conditional
product of measures.
- AMS classification 94A15, 94A17, 68T30
- stochastic conditional independence
- axiomatic characterization
- marginally continuous measures
scanned pdf copy (5655kB) is available.
The paper gives an answer to an open open question formulated
in the book:
- J. Pearl: Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems:
Networks of Plausible Inference. Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo CA